Monday, January 7, 2019

How the City Spoke Jan. 7

Hurricane exhibit at Presbytere


Going through the Presbytere and looking at the details of Hurricane Katrina put a different spin on what I thought happened. When natural disaster or tragic experiences happen the nation/country solely relies on the various news channels to inform everyone on what is going on. Even prior to going into the museum I thought I already knew what I was going to see even though Colleen said there were some exhibits that may make you speechless. When Katrina hit New Orleans back in 2005 I was 15 years old. I remember watching the news daily trying to keep up with the events happening down here thinking that everything was going okay since different agencies were assisting with the aftermath. After making my way through the museum down here I realized that was not the case. Even some of the accounts of residents down here stated that some of the news outlets were not telling the truth. Some even stated that after they were rescued and sent to the Superdome they were placed in even worse conditions. To think the relief they must have felt to be finally rescued to only be placed in a location that put them in even more harm and in conditions that were inhumane. Hearing that people were being rapped, using the bathroom in hallways due to failing plumbing, and lack of resources seems unfathomable to me. I literally had chills after hearing and seeing all of the photos/videos that gave you a first-hand look of the days following the hurricane. One exhibit that really stood out to me was of Charity Hospital. Hearing the doctor’s recollection of the events leading to evacuation and even after trying to keep everyone alive left me in awe. He talked about how news outlets were informing the public that all the patients had been rescued and out of harms way when that was not the case at all. Doctors and nurses were working around the clock to keep patients alive to the best of their ability and sometimes not being successful. I cannot imagine that feeling of helplessness that those healthcare workers must have felt. This experience is something that I will keep with me on my journey through school knowing that I may be in that situation one day needing to perform medicine in conditions that resemble “old time medicine” to save someone’s life someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music (Inner Journey)

Instruments in The Cabildo Music is a staple in the culture down in New Orleans. Ever since the 1700’s when French settlers migrated d...